Tray bake or sheet pan recipes are all the rage at the moment. It’s so easy to cook a whole dish on a tray and then serve the family or a crowd. This mixed berry pancake tray bake is designed to do just that. An allergy friendly, vegan pancake tray bake with no eggs and no dairy that you can bake, slice and serve to everyone at once.
*Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links. We may be paid a commission if you use these links to make a purchase. As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.Jump to Recipe
We are proud to say that this recipe was featured in the Murdoch Children’s Research Institute’s Allergy Friendly Family Cookbook!
Allergy friendly tray bake pancake recipe
Our family loves pancakes. And while we all love a good stack of pancakes with maple syrup, as the head chef I really love this recipe for one reason. I can bake one big tray of pancake to serve everyone at once. Instead of standing in the kitchen flipping pancakes for everyone else, I can even sit down and enjoy a serve too.
Unlike some other allergy friendly recipes, these tray bake pancakes use simple ingredients and can easily be adjusted to suit different allergies. For example, we use oat milk but you could also use any other non-dairy milk that is suitable for your allergies, like soy or almond.
For a wheat and gluten free version, you can substitute the self raising flour with your preferred gluten free flour. Just be aware that the pancake batter may not rise as much and may be more dense. You also may need to adjust the cooking time slightly. Just keep an eye on the pancake while it is baking and test with a skewer to make sure it is cooked all the way through.
- 2 1/2 cups of self-raising flour
- 2 cups of non dairy milk (we use oat milk)
- 4 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 4 tablespoons caster sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 500g of mixed berries (blueberries. raspberries and strawberries)
- Icing sugar to dust
- Maple syrup to serve
Preheat the oven to 180C (350F).
Grease and line a baking tray (approximately 33 x 23 x 5cm or 13 x 9 x 2 inches).
Prepare the berries by washing and patting dry with paper towel to absorb any excess moisture. Hull and slice the strawberries.
Place dry ingredients (flour and sugar) in a bowl and mix. Add wet ingredients (non dairy milk, vegetable oil. and vanilla) and whisk to form a batter.
Pour the pancake batter in to the prepared tray and spread evenly, making sure the surface is smooth.
Add half of the berries to the top of pancake mixture, gently pressing them in evenly over the surface of the batter. Keep the other half of the berries aside for serving.
Place the tray in the preheated oven and bake for approximately 12 to 15 minutes, or until the surface starts to turn golden and a skewer inserted into the batter stays clean.
To add a golden brown finish to your tray bake pancakes, pop the tray under a medium grill for 1 to 2 minutes to finish.
Allow to cool in the pan for a minute or two. Lightly dust the pancake with sieved icing sugar.
Cut the pancake into 8 pieces and serve while still warm. Serve with the extra berries and a generous drizzle of maple syrup.
Some important things to note:
- We used fresh berries in our recipe, but you can use frozen ones. Just make sure to defrost the berries according to the instructions on the packet and make sure they are not damp. Frozen berries can add extra moisture to the mix.
- You can add other ingredients to your pancake tray bake – try other fruits or dairy free chocolate chips (I use Sweet William baking chocolate chips or Enjoy Life semi sweet mini chocolate chips).
More allergy friendly recipes
If you prefer your pancakes in a traditional stack, you can find our favourite recipe here – Easiest ever allergy friendly pancakes. Or for another delicious allergy friendly breakfast, try our dairy free orange and cinnamon porridge with berries.
Another great easy recipe that can be adapted lots of different ways is our best allergy friendly basic cookie recipe – egg & dairy free, vegan
You can find more delicious allergy friendly recipes on our recipe page.
Mixed berry pancake tray bake – egg and dairy free, vegan
- baking tray (lined with baking paper) – 33 x 23 x 5 cm (13 x 9 x 2 inch)
- large mixing bowl
- Measuring cup and spoons
- 2 1/2 cups self raising flour
- 4 Tbsp caster sugar
- 4 Tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 cup non dairy milk (eg oat or soy)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 500 g mixed berries (sliced strawberries, whole raspberries and blueberries)
- 1 Tbsp icing sugar to dust
- Maple syrup to serve
- Preheat the oven to 180C (350F).
- Grease and line a 33 x 23 x 5 cm (13 x 8 x 2 inch) baking tray.
- Rinse and dry berries and hull and slice strawberries.
- Place dry ingredients (flour and caster sugar) in a large bowl and mix well.
- Add wet ingredients (vegetable oil, non dairy milk and vanilla) and whisk until batter is well combined.
- Pour pancake batter into the prepared tray.
- Place half of the mixed berries over the top of the pancake , gently pressing them in to the batter. (Reserve half of the berries for serving).
- Bake in the oven for 12 to 15 minutes (until golden or a skewer inserted into the pancake comes out clean),
- Place the cooked pancake under a medium grill for 1 to 2 minutes until golden brown. Remove from the oven and allow to cool for 1 to 2 minutes in the pan.
- Dust lightly with icing sugar and slice into 8 pieces.
- Serve with a generous drizzle of maple syrup and reserved berries.